Olive oil is a fat obtained by grinding whole olives and extracting the oil. It is very well-known across the world, especially in Mediterranean countries like Greece and Italy. Olive oil was used by Hippocrates, the father of ancient medicine, as one of the main ingredients to prepare ointments; and by Homer, the writer of the Odyssey, as “liquid gold.”
Nowadays we know that olive oil is a very good source of vitamins E and K, which slows down the aging process of the skin. It is also a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids, so it lowers the risk of heart disease and blood cholesterol levels. There are also many other good properties for health.
But olive oil isn’t just for eating; it is also a great and affordable cosmetic product. Here we suggest some ideas to take advantage of this great product if you run out of creams or makeup remover, for instance:
1. As makeup remover: Olive oil can be also used as makeup remover. Just apply a small amount of olive oil on a cotton pad and clean your face as if it was your regular makeup remover. Then rinse off with warm water. This is not only more affordable, but it also contains fewer chemicals that could damage your skin.
2. As moisturizing before shaving: Apply olive oil on clean skin (armpits or legs), then apply shaving foam and shave. Olive oil will protect your skin from the razor blades and prevent irritation. Even men can use olive oil when shaving their beards.
3. As a hair mask: For dry hair with split ends, just microwave for 10 seconds three tablespoons olive oil and apply directly to wet clean hair. Then rinse off with cold water and enjoy softer hair. For better results, repeat the treatment once a week for a month.
4. As skin moisturizer: If you don’t have a moisturizing cream, then use a small amount of olive oil. It is better for your skin as it contains more vitamins and fewer chemicals than creams. You can use it on your face and all over your body, especially in dry areas such as elbows, knees, heels, etc.
5. To soften stretch marks: Everybody knows that those horrible stretch marks are impossible to erase, but olive oil can help us soften them if we apply it a small amount after shower every day. After some time you will note that all the stretch marks will be less evident.