Peru’s ancient city of Machu Picchu was TripAdvisor’s Top 25 Landmarks top selection for 2016.
According to the world’s most popular travel site, Machu Picchu claimed the Travelers’ Choice 2016 Award, the most important prize granted by TripAdvisor.
Peru’s Exports and Tourism Promotion Board (PromPeru) announced: “this important recognition is the outcome of intense efforts by PromPeru, which has allowed our country to position itself as an important destination for visitors year after year, through campaigns such as ‘Peru, land of hidden treasures’ and ‘Peru, to the world.’”
Here are the top 10 destinations (out of 25):
1. Machu Picchu, Cusco region (Peru)
2. Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
3. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap (Cambodia)
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City (Italy)
5. Taj Mahal, Agra (India)
6. Mezquita Cathedral, Cordoba (Spain)
7. Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg (Russia)
8. The Alhambra, Granada (Spain)
9. Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C. (United States)
10. Duomo di Milano (Italy)
TripAdvisor has highlighted the planet’s top landmarks based on the millions of reviews and opinions collected throughout the year from travelers from all over the globe.