National

Dakar Rally will return to Peru in 2015, minister says

By Manuel Vigo

On Wednesday Peru’s Minister of Foreign Commerce and Tourism Jose Luis Silva revealed that the Dakar Rally will return to Peru in 2015, and stay until at least 2018.

Dakar Rally will return to Peru in 2015, minister says

(Photo: El Comercio/Reference)

On Wednesday Peru’s Minister of Foreign Commerce and Tourism Jose Luis Silva revealed that the Dakar Rally will return to Peru in 2015, El Comercio reported.


News of the rally’s return to the Andean country comes after rally organizers announced last March that Peru would not host the Dakar in 2014, and would instead be held in Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina.


According to the daily, Silva disclosed that an agreement had already been signed to see the rally stay in Peru until 2018.


“In 2013 there was already a Dakar [in Peru], in 2014 there won’t be one, and in 2015 there will be,” Silva was quoted as saying.


“And in 2016, 2017, and 2018, there is already a contact in place, but I can’t give details,” the minister added.


"When you negotiate with an institution like this you have to keep some things on hold.”


“We could not publicize the details of the contract,” he added.


According to El Comercio, the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), the rally’s organizers, have not yet confirmed Dakar’s return to Peru.


Although the country will not host the rally in 2014, organizers announced that Peru would host a Dakar Series event later this year.


According to rally organizers, the ‘Desafío Inca’ will take place in the Ica desert this October, offer “competitors a new chance to get to terms with Dakar conditions soon before the 2014 edition of the famous cars, bikes and trucks meeting.”


Peru previously hosted the Dakar rally in 2012 and 2013, alongside Chile and Argentina.