On Monday Peru’s Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism said the amount of tourists arriving in Machu Picchu remains stable, despite the United States Embassy in Peru posting an emergency travel warning, advising U.S. citizens not to travel to Cusco.
According to Minister of Tourism Jose Luis Silva, the amount of tourists the visited the ancient Inca citadel last week are similar to those recorded over the same period in 2012, Andina reported.
The minister added that the Peruvian government was in talks with U.S. Embassy officials, in an effort to remove the emergency warning issued by the U.S. State Department.
"We are confident that when the ambassador receives the information which proves Peruvian authorities are taken preventive actions to ensure the safety of tourists, they will remove the cautionary note, which is not a recommendation, just a warning," Silva said.
The figure’s cited by Silva contradict earlier reports made by Mayor of Machu Picchu Elvis la Torre, who said the number of tourists in Cusco had been reduced by about half.
“Normally in the low season [January to March] we have between 1,500 and 2,000 tourists, and now we have between 700 and 800 tourists.”