Sponsored by Living in Peru Real Estate
Dakar Rally Day 3: Roma in the lead
By Manuel Vigo
January 3, 2012
Spain’s Joan ‘Nani’ Roma won the third stage of the Dakar Rally, ahead of Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc.
The third day of racing saw drivers traveling from San Rafael to San Juan.
Roma finished the stage with a 1:09 lead over his teammate Holowczyc, and almost a minute and a half ahead of Qatar’s Nasser Al-Attiyah.
In the motorcycling category, Frenchman Cyril Despres finished the stage in first place, after Spaniard Marc Coma took a wrong turn during the rally, according to RPP.
Dutchman Frans Verhoeven finished in second place, and Chile’s Francisco Lopez came in 8th.
2012 is the fourth year the Dakar Rally has traveled to South America, and the first time it will run through Peru. The race began in Mar del Plata, Argentina, and will cross into Chile this week, end in Lima, Peru.
According to PromPeru, the country is expected to receive over a million and a half visitors the final stages of the rally.
- Peru’s Toledo says controversial house purchase was funded by loan
- Peru’s Macho Train to restart service
- Peru: Arequipa airport closed over bomb threat
- Peru’s Kuczynski: ‘There are clear signs the economy is slowing’
- Peru’s Humala speaks of regional integration at Pacific Alliance summit
Leave a comment. It will be sent to a moderator for approval. We do not publish profanity or offensive remarks. We only publish comments in English.